Passover: A Crash Course


Nothing better for this Throwback Thursday than my first Passover post from 2009. L'chaim!
 
For years I’ve harbored a curiosity about Judaism. It all started with a friend at summer camp who told me that Bat Mitzvah was all about mozzarella sticks and presents.
Twenty years later, the world’s 12th largest religion still captures my attention. Blessed with an invitation from one of my best friends Mira, I was going to Passover dinner to find out what it’s all about.
Like Christians around Easter and Muslims during Ramadan, Passover is that yearly holiday when many wayward Jews find religion. One day it’s bacon egg and cheese sandwiches and the next it’s full on kosher. Kosher law is very complex with many nuances, but here are the big take aways- no pork, no shellfish, meat and dairy cannot be eaten together, and leavened breads are forbidden during Passover which is why matzo is so important.

The purpose of Passover is to re-tell the story of the Jewish exodus from slavery. For some quick history framework, I suggest watching The Prince of Egypt.
The Seder, or storytelling ritual, takes about hour and traditionally begins at sundown . Families with children often use props to keep their attention which explains the yellow plastic locust I found buried in my afro. Adults are obligated to drink four glasses of wine throughout the Seder. The significance of each glass varies depending on who you ask, but I’m sure you can imagine how else wine might come in handy at this large scale family function where singing together is a requirement.

After suffering through nine of the ten plagues, crossing the Dead Sea, singing a few songs, saying some prayers, mumbling a bit of Hebrew, sampling the bitter herb, drinking symbolic tears, breaking the matzo and making charoset sandwiches, dinner began.

Gefilte fish is probably the most frightening Jewish food. It’s white, dense, and taste like a blend of fish food and maple syrup, without a doubt an acquired taste. The brisket on the other hand was served in a rich sauce, it was salty, tender, and my hands down favorite. We also had two types of kugal which was like a potato noodle casserole and tzimmes which was a blend of sweet potatoes, carrots, potatoes, onions and prunes.

Passover is about family. My favorite moment was when the fathers recited a blessing while resting palms on their children’s heads. For two weeks Mira’s grandmother made lists, cooked and prepared. She also
allowed people to drink red wine over her white carpet, which is simply love encapsulated. There was bickering and kisses, the requisite bitter teenager and the over protective Mom. And in the air there was that overwhelming sense of security that comes with being around people who look just like you and love you despite your faults.

So that’s Passover at a glance, but I would love for some of you Jews out there to add some color. What does your family do? Please tell us about your ridiculous aunt or obnoxious uncle.
Passover is about telling your story, so let’s hear it.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting take, Devon. I always like hearing what it looks like from the perspective of of someone for whom it's a completely new experience.

    Your experience is somewhat similar to my family's seders. Growing up, we would often go to visit my grandparents, who were orthodox Jews, and the seder involved more Hebrew mumbling and waiting around (as I was one of the children who needed to be entertained). But now we tend to focus more on the singing and the food.

    And for the reasons you cited (the family gathering, not the gefilte fish), it is always one of my favorite holidays every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devon,

    I love your depiction of the Seder experience, especially the part about finding a diversionary toy in the fro!

    Growing up in an orthodox environment I can appreciate the grandmother who cooks brisket for weeks, makes lists and kvells over her grandchildren! The Seders in our home have grown to be shorter and more animated over the years, mainly geared towards holding the six grandchildren's attention. My father leads the Seder with animated expressions and my mom encourages the kids to sing Pesach songs they learned in Hebrew school. The kids begrudgingly sing with a bit of encouragement and an embarrassed look on their little faces while my mom belts out the operatic version of Dayenu!

    For all of the chaos of a large family gathering and the reasons you love Passover I too love Passover. One of the most amazing things about Jewish tradition is that it is centered around the Jewish home, tradition and most important family! I love your willingness to learn about other cultures, keep on learning and writing for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devon, you are right on, Passover is about family. You are also right that Gefilte fish is probably the most frightening Jewish food! Thank G-d for the delicious kugal options and matza ball soup!
    Separately, I think that you're genuine interest in Judaism is really something. I really enjoying reading your fresh take on the Passover traditions. It's always good to brush up on that considering this year I was not able to be with my family on the West Coast and took part in a very abridged sedar of two - just me and my boyfriend :)

    ReplyDelete

FOOD IS ONE OF THE MOST VISCERAL ASPECTS OF A CULTURE; IT CAN BE EXPERIENCED WITH NO LANGUAGE SKILLS, NO GUIDE, AND MOST TIMES WITH VERY LITTLE MONEY.