Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Most of us have come to terms with the idea that white flour is the devil, but when it comes to baking, kicking the powder habit is tough. Baking from scratch requires a considerable amount of effort and anything less than optimal results can be a real disappointment.


Fear of failure is not an adequate excuse. (so I tell myself)

To get that monkey off your back, I suggest taking it one baked good at a time.

My first whole wheat attempt was with these chocolate chip cookies, and I’ve got to say that I like them more than the original.
 There are many types of whole wheat flours out there, so I decided to dip my toe in the WW world with Trader Joe’s White Whole Wheat Flour.
This flour is milled from naturally occurring albino wheat. It’s like training wheels in the WW world because it has more nutrients than refined, white flour, but it doesn’t have the strong flavors and leavening issues associated with traditional red flours.

Because I’m sure it was tested by a team of chefs and fed to a whole bunch of focus groups, I used the cookie recipe on the side of the flour bag. You know what they say, “Never be afraid to mimic success.”

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies


2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup brown sugar
1 /2 granulated sugar
1 cup butter (softened)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 12oz package semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl. Blend well and set aside.
In a large bowl, cream butter adding brown and granulated sugar.
Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until creamy.
Add flour mixture to the large bowl and blend well.
Mix in chocolate and nuts.
Drop round teaspoons of mixture onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes.
Makes 30 cookies



Let me be your test kitchen. Click here to have Traveling Taste Buds delivered directly to your email for free.

11 comments:

  1. I'm trying these! A way to indulge without feeling as guilty! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, those look great. I've never tried a whole wheat cookie before.
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Devon! So glad you tried these and gave it the thumbs up. I usually try to add some WW flour into recipes like half and half. I'm making these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Devon. I love baking with whole wheat flour! I think it gives everything a lovely nutty flavor. Super recipe.
    (As far as buckwheat is concerned, I have combined it with whole wheat in a number of recipes...one being banana bread. Buckwheat noodles are wonderful too as are buckwheat blini.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been using whole wheat for decades in a variety of items. When the kids were small I used to mix a lot with white flour and as they got older used more and more whole wheat.

    Raisins, dried cranberries and coconut are tasty additions to chocolate chip cookies. Great when hiking or climbing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Those cookies sound so scrumptious! Great idea to use whole wheat flour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read the comments you leave on my blog and I think we share a vein she and I.

    I bake and I'm always looking for good recipe with wholesome ingredients so you can be sure I'll be trying this one.

    Warm regards,
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog! And I love the concept, Recreating flavors from abroad at home. Really nice. I'll definitely be coming by to see what's cooking in your kitchen.

    --Terrianne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds cool, I will be keeping my eye out for the white.. wheat flour looks like a great product

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

FOOD IS ONE OF THE MOST VISCERAL ASPECTS OF A CULTURE; IT CAN BE EXPERIENCED WITH NO LANGUAGE SKILLS, NO GUIDE, AND MOST TIMES WITH VERY LITTLE MONEY.