Dispatch from Peru

It´s been 36 hours and I´m already in my second city. Yesterday was Lima and today is Arequipa. Yesterday was all about misty rain, musty hotel rooms and getting my traveler´s legs. It was also my first encounter with ceviche. Surrounded by shops with whole chickens hanging from huge metal hooks (feet, heads and all) was a set of lunch stalls. There Zack and I split an ear of corn with kernals the size of dimes and a plate of raw, lime marinated, fish. Zack said it was great and I want to agree, but I´m still new to the fish world so what I can say is, it was fresh, beautiful and completely non-fishey.

We flew into Arequipa this morning and after viewing a mummy frozen from the time of the Incas, we went to a festival gastronomic. There were lots of free drink samples. Instead of Peruvian we ate Thai and falafel, but it was great to practice Spanish. Tomorrow is Colca canyon which is said to be much deeper than the Grand Canyon, we shall see.

Sorry, no USB port so no photos. Photos will come later.

Ciao from the land of alpachas, cuy and... and I will have to fill in that last one after a few more days getting to know the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FOOD IS ONE OF THE MOST VISCERAL ASPECTS OF A CULTURE; IT CAN BE EXPERIENCED WITH NO LANGUAGE SKILLS, NO GUIDE, AND MOST TIMES WITH VERY LITTLE MONEY.