Growing Pains: Dealing with Criticism

For about a year, I was holed up in my apartment writing articles I would never allow people to read. I only shared my work in large anonymous or protected forums like writing contests or classes. My work needed to be out there, but I wasn’t ready to stand behind it.

But now it’s time for me to take a step out into public as a writer and I feel like I’m stepping in front of a batting machine. On the first anniversary of my writing career, I am jello soft and unprepared for the inevitable criticism that lies ahead. People are actually reading my blog and I write two regular columns accessible to anyone with internet access. On the web, everything is open for comment and I fear the next snide remark or disagreement with my opinions will break me.

I need some quick advice about building backbone from some of you veterans out there because the balls are flying and I can only bob and weave for so long. To all seasoned writers, bloggers, authors and artists did this happen to you and how did you deal with it?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Devon,

    Though perhaps not a veteran, I can commiserate. I've been writing for print to get my portfolio off the ground, but that same hesitation you describe has been one thing that has kept me from blogging. With print, you get the affirmation of a piece being accepted, with the web you are your own publisher so you ultimately call the shots about what your audience wants. Blogs also being a more personal form of writing, it can be hard to assert yourself as someone that we want to read, not just a provider of what we want to read. All I have to say is, go for it. There may be others doing something like what you're doing, try to link up with them and see them as allies rather than unknown enemies, and work to make it true that nobody is doing the job quite like you! (Meanwhile, I will try to take my own advice ;)

    ReplyDelete

FOOD IS ONE OF THE MOST VISCERAL ASPECTS OF A CULTURE; IT CAN BE EXPERIENCED WITH NO LANGUAGE SKILLS, NO GUIDE, AND MOST TIMES WITH VERY LITTLE MONEY.