Pumpkin, Carrot, Ginger Soup- How Do You Make It & Who Does it Belong to?


-->
I have this neighbor named Ago. He lives in a Brooklyn loft apartment that was converted from an old candy factory. Inside this apartment he has installed an industrial sized kitchen range and a stage where he performs magic.

To be clear this apartment isn’t one of those dressed up lofts you see in the movies with the bright white walls, mile-high ceilings and hardwood flooring. His place is long and narrow, has concrete floors and exposed piping. This is real deal Brooklyn stuff.

Ago the Magic Chef gave me this soup recipe and I’m having some trouble giving it a true country designation to fit the whole “recreating flavors from abroad” theme. Ago is Italian, but the pumpkin and ginger give me major Japan flash backs. Not to mention the first time I had the soup was at a tango party, held on a dance floor, that Ago and his neighbors had built on their roof.

For me this soup will have to be labeled Brooklyn. There are few places on earth where a twenty-nine year old women can have a recipe-swapping friendship with a fifty-something Italian magician who dances the tango.
Pumpkin, Carrot, Ginger Soup
½ calabaza pumpkin (just over a pound)
¾ pound white waxy potatoes (skinned and cut into chunks)
1 small onion (cut into chunks)
½ pound of carrots (skinned and cut into chunks)
salt
½ tsp cayenne
fresh ginger root
How to Cut A Pumpkin or Squash

-->
Cutting the pumpkin is the most difficult part of this recipe. I suggest cutting it into cantaloupe-like slices. Place a slice flat side down on the cutting board, then place the knife on the skin edge and press downward on the knife with two hands to remove the tough green skin.  Each slice will take about four downward strokes.


-->
Put pumpkin, onion, potato and carrot into a large pot.


-->
Fill the pot with just enough water to cover all the vegetables.
Add about a tablespoon of salt to the water, cover the pot with a lid and set over high heat to boil.
When the pot comes to a vigorous boil, reduce the heat and simmer covered until all veg. is fork tender (about 40 minutes).
Put entire mixture (including water) into a blender, you may need to do two batches, and blend until smooth.
Return blended mixture to pot.
Add cayenne and additional salt to taste.
Grate about a tablespoon or fresh ginger into the soup and stir.
This is what I call an eyeball recipe. You really don’t need to bust out your scales, spoons and measuring cups. Use this recipe as a general guide, but trust your taste buds. Like I said, cutting the pumpkin is the tough part. The rest is super easy. BTW this is one of those accidentally low in fat recipes.

How do you make Pumpkin, Carrot, Ginger Soup
Pumpkin Soup Recipe
How do you slice acorn squashHow to cut hard squash

How do you slice calabaza

9 comments:

  1. I think Brooklyn suits it just fine! It sounds very nutritious and soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accidentally low fat, sure, and accidentally vegan, too! Sounds so yummy and easy. Definitely doing this one for T-giving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy yum - what an amazing combination of flavors!

    It's on my ever growing list of things to make - thanks to you and Ago! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen-You have no idea how much time I spend thinking up menus for vegan guests. I only know a handful and they live on the other side of the country, but it's a compulsion.

    TKW- Always happy to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo, after my detox, I'm totally trying this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pumpkin soup! I think you came up with a terrific description for the soup "Brooklyn". I think Brooklyn describes a place where diversity melds together. Where everything influences everything else. This soup represents a little of everything! Very nice blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Dev - how many servings do you estimate for this recipe?
    The hardest thing with veganism is don't get stuck on it being all about veggies... hey, popcorn with melted (non-milk) chocolate drizzle is vegan, too! Going to look for that Thai Red Curry recipe you had posted here somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ellen,
    Sorry for the radio silence. Hope I didn't screw up a dinner plan. The pumpkin soup makes about five servings. I had no idea you went full vegan. Brava! There must also be some tasty graham cracker, banana, peanut butter (non-milk) chocolate thing you could whip up. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Devon, I stumbled upon your yummy blog as I was looking for non-fat, low sodium recipes for my husband and his new eating regime. I made the above recipe, and it is now his new favourite! Thanks so much for such a wonderful soup! ( I used butternut squash instead of the calabaza pumpkin)

    ReplyDelete

FOOD IS ONE OF THE MOST VISCERAL ASPECTS OF A CULTURE; IT CAN BE EXPERIENCED WITH NO LANGUAGE SKILLS, NO GUIDE, AND MOST TIMES WITH VERY LITTLE MONEY.