What is Food Like in Ecuador


-->
Italian, Chinese and Bagels were listed under the restaurant section of my Ecuador guide book.
That pissed me off.
But then I realized that the authors might be hinting at something.
It hurts me to say that Ecuadorian food was bad, but it’s the truth. Oily and rough around the edges, the food was bland and unappealing.
Meat was a big feature, but it was often difficult to identify.
Maybe that’s a good thing.



-->
This was a good breakfast of chicken soup and eggs, and it cost about $3.50, but soon after I became violently ill for 2 days. On the plus side, I lost 4 pounds! (Disclosure: getting sick is all part of the experience and it won’t stop me from eating local food.)


-->
A walk in the park got me these two beauties from a couple of vendors. The first tastes better than it looks and the second looks better than it tastes.

-->
Crunchy, roasted corn and white beans topped with tomato sauce and fish chunks may sound weird, but it didn’t taste so bad. The plantain chips made it seem kind of like nachos.


-->
People were swarming this dessert cart when we showed up. I think this stuff is whipped sweetened condensed milk; it tasted like fake whipped cream. They did, however, let you pick your own toppings.

-->
To be fair, there were some good things like my friend Rodolfo’s cebiche; I’ll be sharing that recipe with you later.

-->
Breads and cakes from the omnipresent bakeries were fresh and tasty, and fruit and veg. were always available in the market.

-->
Fresh, blended juices were very popular-- like this one in the on-the-go plastic bag.


-->
I even had a gourmet dinner when we stayed at a $28 a night hacienda. It was chicken and leek stew with puff pastry and an apple crumble cake for dessert. Very good. Check out the hacienda kitchen.


-->

I’m sorry if you’re disappointed about the food; I was too. Luckily this trip was about a lot more than eating. Keep checking in and I’ll fill you in on the rest. What do Ecuadorians eat


10 comments:

  1. Love the reporter in the field roll you are taking. The food, pictures and commentary is so cool! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying new foods is one of my favorite parts of traveling, but sometimes it's good, sometimes bad. You are very adventuresome to try so many different dishes. The juice in the plastic bag made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bucket of cow heads. Yum?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos and an honest report. I enjoy your street scenes, but will not be trying some of the unusual meats in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pics..interesting food habits :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your trip sounds amazing and adefinate culinary experience.Thanks for dropping by simply.food.Your visits are comments are very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating experience, thank so much for sharing, loved learning more about foods in Ecuador.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm... so not a culinary destination eh? OMG on the cow head in a bucket picture LOL.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! things we learn when we travel;sometimes good, sometimes???
    Right now my husband and I are are in Victoria BC and the food is fantatic;frest and well prepared.
    Happy Easter,
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had so much fun when I visited Ecuador!!
    Of course I loved the food, but I think the best thing was the Galapagos diving cruises, no doubt about that!

    ReplyDelete

FOOD IS ONE OF THE MOST VISCERAL ASPECTS OF A CULTURE; IT CAN BE EXPERIENCED WITH NO LANGUAGE SKILLS, NO GUIDE, AND MOST TIMES WITH VERY LITTLE MONEY.