Ginger Snaps: Vindication

Didn’t I say there was something wrong with that recipe? Well, I was right. I got an email from Robin the other day and apparently the original recipe was given under duress. Robin’s friend Auda, the baker from Bermuda, was headed into surgery when she gave her recipe from memory. Considering the circumstances, a little molasses mix up can expected. Auda made it through her surgery fine and got a good laugh at my sorry crisp-less cookies. I’ve attached the revised recipe below, but I gotta say that tonight, I’m sticking to go old fashioned chocolate chip.

1 ½ cups shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
½ cup molasses
4 cup flour
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. cloves
1 ½ tsp. ginger (more if you desire)

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and molasses, then sift dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Roll the dough lightly into balls the size of a marble. Roll the balls in sugar and place on a greased cookie sheet, but do not press them down. Bake in a moderate woven at 350ْ
For 15 minutes. The dough will handle better if it is left in the refrigerator until cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FOOD IS ONE OF THE MOST VISCERAL ASPECTS OF A CULTURE; IT CAN BE EXPERIENCED WITH NO LANGUAGE SKILLS, NO GUIDE, AND MOST TIMES WITH VERY LITTLE MONEY.