Fish Fears: A Revelation

Last Wednesday I went to Gramercy Tavern with a friend for his birthday. Far from being the snob-fest I assumed a fancy restaurant like that would be, it was quite a friendly place. Scanning the menu my friend began his suggested dinner itinerary. We’ll start with this and that… a couple of oysters. As soon as that word touched my ears, a shot of anxiety leapt out of my stomach, ran to every extremity in my body then returned to my stomach to fester. As much as I did not want to look like a culinary wimp, I bowed my head in real shame, shook it from left to right, and said, “I’m just not ready yet.” Sounds over dramatic, but this is the cross I have to bear and it’s getting a little heavy.

The Consolation Prize: My friend ordered the black bass special and true to my word I took a bite. This is a good fish. There was none of that ocean taste, which I’m sure has something to do with it being born and raised in freshwater. It was also hearty like a really light piece of chicken. Served with a yogurt sauce and cucumbers it was actually palatable. It was so good that I didn’t want to take another bite for fear that it would somehow taste bad the second time around. So maybe that’s the trick, maybe it’s all about freshwater fish in fancy restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FOOD IS ONE OF THE MOST VISCERAL ASPECTS OF A CULTURE; IT CAN BE EXPERIENCED WITH NO LANGUAGE SKILLS, NO GUIDE, AND MOST TIMES WITH VERY LITTLE MONEY.