They Say It's A Miracle

Whether it be a result of my innate optimism or the product of a blessed and hopeful upbringing, I must confess that the election of Barack Obama, the first president of color, was no miracle to me. Unlike so many generations that came before me, I believed this would happen in my lifetime.

As a child when I was told I could be anything, I knew it to be true. I shut my ears to those who said the American dream was a lie and now we all have our proof. Proof that difficult does not mean impossible.

The election of our 44th president means so many different things to so many people, but my hope is that it inspires us all to be more and expect more from each other. With so many victories to be claimed, we need to seize the opportunity to be better people and better Americans.



The artwork above was created by my friend and artist Phil Fung. It was shown at this year’s Democratic National Convention and was later sold. More of Phil’s work can been seen at http://www.philfung.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FOOD IS ONE OF THE MOST VISCERAL ASPECTS OF A CULTURE; IT CAN BE EXPERIENCED WITH NO LANGUAGE SKILLS, NO GUIDE, AND MOST TIMES WITH VERY LITTLE MONEY.