The Vacation Dead Zone and Raw Food

Vacation kills blog posts. I’ve seen it on other people's sites, but I never thought I would sit down and write one of those I’m so sorry I have written in X amount of time posts, but I have to say my friends it is all too easy to get caught up in the blog abandonment vortex. One minute it’s, wow that Peruvian internet café looks shady and the next minute it’s, geez all that catch up work at the office has totally muted my creativity. But I have broken free, there’s just too much to talk about like, like like raw food for example.

Here’s what I ate last week at Pure Food and Wine, a 100% raw food restaurant. All of these photos are alla camera phone because I had to be stealth, too bad the high beam like flash lit the whole place up like a Christmas tree on fire. Stealth and I just don’t get along.

Plate of Assorted Dr. Cow Nut Cheeses with Pistachio Crisps.

A key raw food principal is no dairy, but it wasn't missed here. Our "blue cheese" was made with a blue green algae, which is purported to cure everything from fatigue to digestive issues. True or not, I really did forget that I wasn't eating dairy made cheese. The texture was a little like melting play dough on the tongue, but in a good way.

Salad of Compressed Heirloom Tomatoes and Hass Avocado
Nothing too out of the box here, but the presentation was fancy.

White Corn Tamales with Raw Cacao Mole To be considered raw, food cannot be heated over 116 degrees F because higher temps kill the natural enzymes. These corn tamales with cashew nut sour cream were creamy, room temperature, enzyme packed little envelopes of goodness.



Open Spanikopita Tart with Marjoram Marinated Spring Vegetables

The key to this plate is way back in the corner of the photo. Though I could find very few similarities with spanikopita, this little quiche like tart warranted a much bigger part in this production. Those upstaging veggies were nothing to write home about, but the dill cucumber yogurt played a great supporting role.

???

By the time we got to this one, I stopped caring what I was eating and just enjoyed. This was like a parfait of avocado, pineapple and tomatoes. Doesn't sound like it goes, does it? Well it totally goes and it looks like high beaming the place and asking way more questions than most people has it's rewards because this little number was on the house.

Dessert
Someone please tell me how a non-dairy raw foodist makes an ice cream sundae that tastes this good. I tried to watch the stuff to see if it would melt, but the whole eating thing distracted me. The carrot cake was like any other carrot cake, but the flavours were explosive like ginger POW, maple BANG...that kinda thing

A multi course raw food meal feels like eating a salad, but tastes like...well you just have to try it for yourself because it is an entire experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FOOD IS ONE OF THE MOST VISCERAL ASPECTS OF A CULTURE; IT CAN BE EXPERIENCED WITH NO LANGUAGE SKILLS, NO GUIDE, AND MOST TIMES WITH VERY LITTLE MONEY.